Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Breakfast in Germany

I 'm not sure what to call the weather we have been having lately, fall or winter. It looks like fall with leaves covering the ground, but we have had most days in single digits, a couple days around -2 degrees! That is celsius for my fellow Americans! However, I can't complain because the sun has been shining. I am always grateful for rainless days here. Besides, I am grateful to not have been anywhere near hurricane Sandy and my thoughts are with everyone on the East Coast back home! What an unbelievable storm.

Since Kev usually has practice in the mornings and games or practice on the weekends, we rarely ever go out for breakfast. So we took advantage of yesterday's 3 p.m. practice and my day off to enjoy a nice sleep in and a breakfast out. I mean we really took advantage, getting an 11+ hour night of sleep. I won't even say how late we slept in because I can already see my dad rolling his eyes at the 11+ hours of sleep (the guy is lucky to sleep in past 5 a.m.).

So after lazily getting out of bed, we headed on over to a chain restaurant called Schweinske for breakfast brunch. What do you think of when you hear the word breakfast? Pancakes and Belgian waffles? Scrambled eggs or an omelette stuffed with just about everything? Cinnamon Rolls, bacon, sausage, home fries, and hash browns? I'm salivating at the thought of it and may have to make tonight a breakfast for dinner kind of night.

However, one of the adjustments of moving to a new country is accepting new traditions and cultures, food being a large one. What I described above is not quite at all what you would get for breakfast here in Germany.

A traditional German breakfast usually consists of a multiple of different kinds of Brötchen (rolls), many spreads (butter, honey, marmalades, nutella, cream cheese, etc.), and different deli meats and cheeses for your bread. If an egg is served, it is most commonly soft boiled. Sometimes, smoked salmon, or tiny shrimp is also served. They offer the same drinks for breakfast as back home: tee, coffee, fruit juices, etc.

Our breakfast at Schweinske
I have come to really enjoy the traditional German breakfast (especially the smoked salmon over some cream cheese on bread!). Kev, not so much. He makes sure to get his eggs scrambled and would definitely prefer some chocolate chip pancakes! But he has given it a good shot which is a part of immersing oneself in the culture!

Kev has left me today for yet another multiple day road trip. It seems as if he has been away a lot since I have gotten here. Although, I think this will be the last one for the next couple months, there are a lot of home games in November and December. Working, german class, running, and putting the finishing touches on our Halloween costumes are on my agenda for the rest of the week. Our party is on Sunday and I couldn't be more excited!

 Happy Halloween, Tschüss!

No comments: