Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Cursed on the November break...

Cursed might be a strong word, but our bad luck with sickness and the November DEL break is 2/2. Our trip to Prague was plagued by a bit of a stomach flu. Not nearly as bad as Paris last year and I felt perfectly fine, but Kev wasn't doing so great and we definitely spent more time in the hotel than we would have liked! No wild nights out in Prague for us.

Nevertheless, we did get out to see the city and I have determined that it is my favorite place I have travelled to thus far. If you would have asked me before coming to Europe what I think European cities would look like, I believe I would have described Prague. The architecture is old, delicate, and beautiful on what seems like every single building, there are many cathedrals and synagogues, a castle, statues with meaning everywhere, and not to mention the beautiful Charles Bridge. We had breakfast at a cafe Albert Einstein was a regular at by morning and snacked on Czech pastries in the lit up Old Town square by night. We went back in history and toured around in a beautiful red car from 1928.

Sadly, I feel like I did not walk away with much more knowledge of the history or current events of Prague as I came in with. We had intended to do a half-day walking tour Friday, but we cancelled that not knowing how Kev was going to be feeling. I did find out that the Prague castle was founded in 870 is able to boast the largest castle area in the world (with 18 acres total in courtyards and buildings). The city is amazing and has so much history, I would love to go back again!

Astronomical Clock

Old Town Square

Charles Bridge

Kev's favorite part of the trip I think!

View from "Powder Tower"

Charles Bridge

View from Old Town Hall/Astronomical Clock Tower

Kev has been feeling better since we got back and he was able to just rest and sleep yesterday. He will be ready to go for Friday's game. The break was nice to have, but I'm sure Kev is hungry to get back on the ice for some games. The boys went into the break on a five-game win streak, so hopefully they will be able to carry that forward! 

Happy Monday, Tschüss!

No comments: