Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sweaty Saturday

Thanks to a girlfriend, I am lucky to be even getting this post up. Which is because I'm locked out of the apartment this weekend and Kev is away. I'll tell that story in a bit. Not writing today would have been a shame as I missed Sweaty Saturday last week due to our trip to Prague. I know you all would have been heartbroken to miss another one.

I did a fitness test this week in the form of a three mile time trial. This is the second "test" I've done since I started the training plan. The first one was a three kilometer time trial and didn't go so well. I am glad to report this one was better! I completed the time trial in 18:30. Although this was on the high end of the goal pace per mile range, overall, I am happy with the result. I feel as if I mentally stayed strong during the entire "race" (which I technically won, but that tends to happen when one races alone). I was able to reflect during my cool-down and really pinpoint the areas in those three miles where I can improve via form, mentality, etc. I am feeling good about where I currently am in the training and excited to keep getting stronger. I only wish I wasn't locked out and could access my shoes and gear to be able to run this weekend...

One thing I find I am really missing about running back home is the general comradery between runners. It doesn't matter where in North America I am, if I come along another runner (or walker), there is usually some sort of interaction, whether that be a smile and nod, or a smile and greeting of some sort. I come across many other runners here in Germany, but unless I initiate some type of exchange, I am just passing another frown-faced runner. I know running isn't always fun, but come on, let's pretend we are somewhat enjoying ourselves. It is only in rare cases that I receive a smile, a "Guten Morgen" or "Hallo" from a fellow runner. These running experiences don't help to dissolve the stereotype that German people are unfriendly. Luckily, I have spent enough time in this country and come across plenty of friendly Germans to know the stereotype isn't completely true. 

Now, I know you are all wondering: Autumn, you dunce you, how did you manage to get locked out? Well, the boys had to take the train today to Mannheim for their game tomorrow. My girlfriend and I were going to head downtown for the day so we went with them to the local train station, to which Kev drove. Since he was driving the vehicle, he had the car/apartment key set and the spare set (so he could get back into the apartment upon return from Mannheim). We got to the train station, I rushed over to buy us tickets since we were cutting it close on time, boarded the train, said goodbye to the boys when we reached their stop, and continued downtown. After a bit of shopping and sitting down for lunch, I realized I never got the car/apartment set back from him. Scheiße!!! So here I am, carless, apartmentless, embarrassed, and glad Kev is not one a 4-day road trip!

I hope your weekend was less stressful and I hope you were able to sweat a little bit today! Tschüss!

No comments: